How to prepare Ropa Vieja Canaria?
It is one of the most famous dishes in the Canary Islands. Also called the “useful” plate, due to its preparation with lots of ingredients, that have been left from other plates, mixed with a a delicious homemade tomato sauce and excellent potatoes cut into cubes.
About 90 minutes
The necessary ingredients are:
In addition to many others, due to the amount of variations that this incredible Canarian recipe has.
How to make Ropa Vieja Canaria?
- Let’s start with shredding the meat that has previously been cooked at low fire together with the chickpeas.
- It is important to mention, that usually this plate is made in the posterior days of preparing any of the other famous Canarian plates.
- After crumbling both the beef and the chicken we mix it together with the chickpeas.
- Now it’s time to make an excellent tomato sauce.
How to prepare the tomato sauce?
- Firstly, chop the tomatoes, onions and peppers and cook it together with a little bit of white wine until getting a homemade tomato sauce that will crush with a food mill or a food processor.
- It’s recommended to use a food mill get a perfect and soft finish.
- Add salt and a pinch of sugar to eliminate the acidity of the tomato.
- Store the tomato sauce next to the shredded meat.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes, in order to get some amazing fries, so before frying, leave them soaked with salt for 10 minutes to release excess starch.
- After straining and drying the potatoes, add them into a pan with abundant medium-hot oil to get crispy and silky french fries.
Drain and remove excess oil with absorbent paper.
- Mix all the ingredients together, controlling the amount of tomato sauce.
And it’s time to taste the excellent and delicious Ropa Vieja Canaria.