How to prepare Canarian Codfish with Onion?
We return with our fish recipes presenting one that, although it does not have its origin on the islands, its adaptation is just as delicious as the others that we can find in other regions of Spain: the Canarian Codfish with Onion.
Ingredients for 4 persons
- 1 kg salted codfish
- 4 onions
- 1 red pepper
- Half a kg ripe tomatoes
- A head of garlic
- Start washing the fish with cold water the day before, changing the water 3 times. Once ready, take it out to dry.
- To prepare the onion, cut the onion into slices and roast them slightly over medium heat.
- In the same way we cut the pepper in slices and add it to the onion until it starts soften.
- Cut the garlic to add it to the paste.
- Peel the tomatoes, cut them and add them to the sauce.
- Take a squirt of vinegar and stir the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Add about 400 ml of water and oregano and leave the sauce for 10 minutes on low fire to lighten.
- Take the codfish slices and flour them lightly.
- Fry the codfish slices in a pan with oil over medium heat. Dry them in an absorbent paper after.
- Carefully place the cod over the onion paste and leave it at low heat in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Turn the cod over and repeat the same procedure.
- After that turn off the fire and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Enjoy a recipe that is usually served with good papas arrugadas. The Canarian Codfish with Onions is a real delicacy.