How to prepare Bienmesabe Canario?
One of the best and most typical canarian desserts is the Bienmesabe Canario, where the almond is the main ingredient and protagonist in each of the desserts that exists with any combination of this sweet product.
It is used as an accompaniment to the Canary Flan, it is also typical to combine with vanilla ice cream, chocolate or nougat.
90 minutes plus 1 day in the refrigerator
Ingredients to prepare Canarian Bienmesabe:
- Half lemon peel
- 250 g almonds
- 125 g sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 branch of cinnamon
- 125 ml water
- Let’s boil water in a pot.
- Once boiled, turn of the fire and add the almonds for 5 minutes. This will help us to peel them easily.
- Drain the almonds, peel them and put them on absorbent paper.
- Once drained, mash and toast in a pan until they have a golden color. Be careful not to burn them, because they could be very bitter.
- In another cauldron, we boil the 125 ml of water, with sugar, lemon peel and cinnamon, over medium heat in order to get a delicious and balanced syrup.
- Once our syrup is ready, remove the lemon peel and Cinnamon branch.
- Now add the almonds to our syrup and stir in a constant motion to prevent it to stick until our mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove and let it cool down.
- Once cooled down, we strongly beat the egg yolks and add them to our sweet dough.
- Put the mixture over low heat and move to avoid it to get sticky and get a velvety and nice texture.
- Let it cool down in a glass bowl and tightly closed so that it does not catch cold flavors and have it ready to serve.
The Bienmesabe Canario is one of the best Canarian desserts in the traditional cuisine of the Canary Islands.